F11 beta xfce i686 spin

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Apr 4 18:56:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:14:12 +0100
psmith <johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the reply kevin, i thought you may be involved as you are
> the xfce guy but i wasn't sure if you were involved in spining the
> beta iso's

Well, release engineering does the spinning, I just handle the
kickstart that they use. :)

> first hardware is acer aspire one A150, intel 945GME gfx, intel 82801
> chipset, atom cpu, 1.5GBram, sata HD, this was booted usb made from
> verified iso (sha256 matches that that came with the iso)

Did you use the f10 liveusb-creator to make this usb?
If so, that is not going to work. Can you
yum --enablerepo=rawhide upgrade syslinux
and then re-run the libusb-creator on it?

> sencond hardware is gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo, geforce 8800GTX,
> Athlon X2 5600, raid0, 4GB ram. this was booted from both the usb and
> a burned copy of the iso.

Did you get the exact same behavior from the cd as the usb here?

> both these machines happily run F10 no problems. and both will boot
> from the gnome i686 live spin (with some cajoling, like changing the
> hw timer to jiffy instead of tsc on the aspire as tsc is unstable :/)
>
> but with the xfce spin both of them stop when it should be loading
> plymouth, the machine isn't frozen as it responds to plugging in and
> removing usb mice etc, and also replies to the three finger salute
> and tells me it's going down for reboot.

Strange.

> i look forward to seeing if you guys can get any farther than me

Yeah, trying some things here now...

> phil

kevin