[OT?] a viable laptop for exploring virtualization on f11?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Apr 5 10:17:51 UTC 2009

  one of my goals with f11 is to explore, as completely as possible,
the varieties of virtualization available, and start documenting them
for a possible virt seminar later this year.

  at the moment, my laptops aren't adequate.  one is merely 32-bit
with PAE, while the others are 64-bit AMD but without the AMD-V
virtualization extensions; hence, no possibility of experimenting with
KVM (right?)

  to that end, i just wanted to clarify what would be an adequate
system that would allow me to configure and test all manner of
available virt solutions.  i don't need wicked cool graphics or
blinding disk speed, so here's a possibility:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4006371&sku=S445-M1626&srkey=m-1626

  quite simply, given an AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile TL-60
2.0GHz, i'm assuming that that processor comes with the AMD-V
virtualization extensions since that's what it suggests here:

http://www.chiplist.com/ChipList2/chiplist_display_section.php?id=2231&page_number=&chiplist_version_major=&chiplist_version_minor=&chiplist_version_revision=&chiplist_version_extension=&chiplist_version_release_date=&chapter_number=0&section_number=0&subsection_number=0&paragraph_number=0&view_mode=tree2a&expansion=2

but sometimes, the online docs can be inaccurate.

  in short, any guidance on whether this is an acceptable system for
what i want to do?  would it have any crippling weaknesses in terms of
virtualization?  or, if you're in canada, i'm open to alternatives for
midrange laptops that would accomplish the same thing, without
breaking the bank.

  thanks for any feedback.

rday

p.s.  is there, in fact, a separate mailing list for discussion of
virtualization on fedora for non-experts?  that would be *so* cool.

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.