Fascist Software running wild on Rawhide

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sun Apr 5 18:26:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 20:18 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I am having to run some sound apps as root in order to get
> access to the sound device.

This is the expected behavior *if* you log in to the system elsewhere
(e.g. logging in on VT2) before logging into X.

The first user to log in to an empty system is considered the active
user, and the active user gets ownership of the sound devices.

Check the output of 'ck-list-sessions' and make sure your X session is
listed as being local and active, and check 'getfacl /dev/snd/timer' to
see who has write perms on the sound device.

If you aren't the active user, logging out the active user should make
your session the active one, and give you back the sound devices.

Otherwise.. you might have found a bug in ConsoleKit/PolicyKit.

> Then I ran system>admin/add/remove software.
> After warning, it allowed me to select software to download,
> but then refused to load it claiming insufficient privelege.

You ran it as root? Yeah, that won't work. Hence the warning.

> I then logged out and logged in as a user and this time
> there were no error messages on install software until I had
> spent several minutes choosing to install.

Okay, but what did the error message say? And what triggered it?

It's really hard to help diagnose a problem if you don't actually
describe the problem - beyond it being "fascist".

-w