F11 beta xfce i686 spin

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:48:29 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:07:51 +0100
> psmith <johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> yeah the gnome i686 works fine, that's what i couldn't understand,
>> but it's not just the live iso's i have problems with as the x86-64
>> dvd balks at the "this is beta software..." dialouge and puts the
>> machine down for re-boot no matter what option i choose, but that's a
>> problem for another time :)
>>

> Yeah, the x86_64 one works just fine here.
>
> I'm not sure what possible difference the gnome one could have on
> i686. ;(
>

>> that would be great, at least with a working iso i can go into work
>> on monday and start updating the guys netbooks, as for the slow
>> upload i suffer the same here 30-35k/s max :( but i'm off out now for
>> the night so having it up for tomorrow am uk time will be plenty
>> quick enough :)
>>

> ok.
>
> Not official, may blow up, for testing only, etc etc.
>
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/tmp/Fedora-xfce-20090404-i686.iso
>
> Send all bugs/issues my way.
>
> I will try and figure out what happened to the official compose. ;(
>
> kevin

thanks kevin, that compose works perfectly and f11 beta is already on 7
of the 11 aspire ones :), though i'm already hearing moans of slower
performance and the only thing i can think of (apart from being beta) is
the drop to the i586 kernel, although the atom is pae compatable it
isn't nx so no i686-pae kernel. i'm going to knock up an i686 kernel
tonight at home and install it to see if that brings things back closer
to f10 performance. also wouldn't it be pertinant to remove the official
xfce i686 spin torrent link from the spins torrent download page, save
more people wasting time and bandwidth?

phil