No i386 images in rawhide,

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 8 07:42:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> Any idea what provides the memcheck tool?
>>>
>>> [root at cypher bin]# ./valgrind --leak-check=yes rpm -q glibc
>>> valgrind: failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'x86-linux': No
>>> such file or directory
>>> [root at cypher bin]#
>>
>> valgrind expects to find the bits and pieces in certain places - you'll need
>> to do the rpm2cpio unpacking from / to get the paths right.
>
> Output can be found here. Let me know if you want any other things run.
>
> http://pbrobinson.fedorapeople.org/rpm-valgrind.txt

Hmm, this appears to be F10 valgrind (==3619== Using valgrind-3.3.0),
which is fairly broken at least as far as rpm goes (it doesn't handle
pipe2() syscall which prevents macros from getting properly processed),
try grabbing rawhide valgrind instead and rerun.

Some related items: despite macros being somewhat busted, it actually
manages to return the glibc version: glibc-2.9.90-12.i586. That is
rawhide alright, but then:

==3623==    by 0xBAB7C3: rpmInitCrypto (in /usr/lib/librpmio-4.6.so)

...it still has rpm 4.6.0, whereas rawhide has 4.7.0-beta1. That this
happens with rpm 4.6.0 too is probably a useful piece of information.
Since rpm seems to limp on somehow under valgrind (which is might be a
clue in itself), try grabbing the entire package list with 'valgrind rpm
-qa', maybe there are some further clues there. (and yes this is pretty
much shooting in the dark, trying to hunt for some clues)

 	- Panu -