fancy X input handling?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 13:41:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 21:02 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> There were a bunch of X bugzillas I was following a while back about
> spiffing up X and evdev to do things like finally support draglock
> and have the ability to apply much more human-pleasing mouse
> acceleration algorithms.
>
> In particular, apply these tweaks separately to separate devices
> (you have one mouse with one report rate, another mouse with a
> different rtate, you'd like them to accelerate differently).
>
> I figured I'd see if I could give all this stuff a try in Fedora
> 11, assuming it made it into Fedora 11. There is a evdev man page,
> but is seems a bit sketchy, especially when it comes to tweaking
> different input devices separately.
>
> Anyone know if this stuff is documented anywhere or there are
> some sample snazzy config files around to look at?
>
> I didn't see anything in the man page that sounded much like
> it was describing mouse acceleration, is the new algorithm
> in X yet (or maybe it isn't directly related to evdev?).

Most of the new input features are runtime-configurable.  I don't know
if there's a way to configure them in xorg.conf ahead of time; I'll
check.

But it looks something like this:

atropine:~% xinput list-props "Logitech USB Optical Mouse"
Device 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse':
	Device Enabled (91):		1
	Evdev Reopen Attempts (224):		10
	Evdev Axis Inversion (225):		0, 0
	Evdev Axis Calibration (226):
	Evdev Axes Swap (227):		0
	Evdev Middle Button Emulation (228):		2
	Evdev Middle Button Timeout (229):		50
	Evdev Wheel Emulation (230):		0
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (231):		0, 0, 4, 5
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (232):		10
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (233):		200
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (234):		4
	Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (235):		0
atropine:~% xinput get-feedbacks "Logitech USB Optical Mouse"
1 feedback class
PtrFeedbackClass id=0
	accelNum is 2
	accelDenom is 1
	threshold is 4
atropine:~% xinput set-ptr-feedback "Logitech USB Optical Mouse" 4 3 2
atropine:~% xinput get-feedbacks "Logitech USB Optical Mouse"
1 feedback class
PtrFeedbackClass id=0
	accelNum is 3
	accelDenom is 2
	threshold is 4

etc.  'xinput help' for more details.  There should be a snazzy Gnome UI
for this soon too, although I don't know if it'll make F11 gold.

- ajax