USB disks on the gnome desktop in F11 beta

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 21:53:51 UTC 2009

Joachim Backes wrote:
 > Logging in into the gnome desktop will show all attached USB disks on
 > the desktop using the USB icon. Because I don't like to unmount the
 > disks each time when logging in, I could get rid from this feature in
 > F10 by using the System->Preferences->Authorizations menu.
 >
 > How to do achieve this in F11 beta?

The easiest way is to install gconf-editor.  Then go to
/apps/nautilus/preferences and ...

1. uncheck media_automount
2. uncheck media_automount_open
3. check media_autorun_never

IMO these are generally good things to do no matter what.

You can also do the same things by hand-editing the corresponding
gconf.xml file, but I find the GUI editor a lot easier (and less prone
to typos).

Note that these are per-user settings.  If you want to make them
mandatory system-wide, then you do have to resort to hand editing.

Back in F9 days, you used to be able to tell hal not to notify Gnome
when a medium was inserted.  Now Gnome checks on its own.  Argh.