weirdness going from runlevel 5 to 3

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Apr 11 12:11:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, François Cami wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 06:24:46 -0400 (EDT)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> >   for debugging purposes (hi, francois!), i wanted to drop out of
> > my GNOME desktop to the command line in runlevel 3.  the first
> > time i tried that ("init 3"), the whole display went dark and i
> > couldn't find anything on any virtual console.  eventually, i
> > powered down and up again just to get my system back.
> >
> >   i just tried "init 3" again from the desktop and my GNOME
> > session is still chugging along happily even though:
> >
> > # runlevel
> > 5 3
> > #
>
> What happens if you :
>
> * add the DontZap option to your xorg.conf :
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option "DontZap" "false"
> EndSection
>
> * reboot normally, log on to GNOME
>
> * try "init 3" again
>
> * use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to kill Xorg ?
>
> Several of my programs decided to hang instead of exiting properly
> this morning, killing them worked (but is no solution). I'm
> wondering if you're not seeing the same problem in different form.

  i won't have time to do any more testing today but, without messing
with xorg.conf, i've now seen two different behaviours when i run
"init 3" from an xterm running in my GNOME desktop:

  1) completely ignored, or

  2) total lockup (that's what just happened twice when i was testing
it again), requiring a power cycle

  i'll try to do more testing later this weekend.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday