weirdness going from runlevel 5 to 3

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Apr 11 21:25:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Allen Kistler wrote:

> The only thing that DontZap gets you is the ability to use
> alt-ctrl-bksp to kill X, which was the second part of François'
> suggestion.

  you're right.  i was utterly unable to "init 3" from my GNOME
desktop until i added the "DontZap" "false" directive to xorg.conf, at
which point "init" mysteriously started to work, for no apparent
reason.

  turns out i celebrated too soon.  after rebooting and updating just
now, i am unable to "init 3" -- the system just locks up.  so we're
back to being confused.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday