firefox is regularly dying

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Apr 13 17:26:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Kalev Lember wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   sadly, no ... it's been a busy weekend.  i'll see if i can get
> > to it this aft.  although the more common symptom at this point is
> > not FF dying, but FF locking up the entire system, so that's going
> > to be a bit trickier to debug.
>
> What video card do you have? It's possible that your video driver is
> buggy and you are getting GPU lockups. It might make sense to try to
> rule out a video driver problem by trying the reproduce your
> problems with VESA driver instead.

  good point, so here's what i did.  while running with the "radeon"
driver, i edited xorg.conf and changed "radeon" to "vesa" but, before
i rebooted, i tried to browse over to my nemesis, linux-kvm.org.  not
surprisingly, still using the radeon driver, that page *almost* loaded
again, then locked up my system.

  i power-cycled and rebooted (this time loading the vesa driver),
which brought me up to a 1024x768 desktop rather than 1280x800, at
which point i browsed over to linux-kvm.org and it worked just fine.
so it's clearly(?) something with the radeon driver.

rday
--

p.s.  from "lspci -v":

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon
X1200 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Device 0381
        Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at f8100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [80] MSI: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-
        Kernel modules: radeon

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday