ath9k dead periods

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 20:47:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 10:34 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Jack Howarth wrote:
> >    Is anyone else having problems with the ath9k wireless
> > drivers in current rawhide? I find that for all of the
> > kernels recently in rawhide that the wireless throughput
> > with dry up periodically. For example, if I do a yum update,
> > the downloads will periodically hang and then yum will
> > time out to a series of alternate servers. During this
> > period of time no network access is possible (dns/ftp/ssh)
> > from the machine in question. I am seeing this on a
> > MacBook Pro v2,1 connecting to an Apple Airport
> > Extreme Gigabyte wireless router that is configured for
> > N protocol on 5MHz frequencies only with wide channels
> > and a 6Mbps multicast rate. The same machine under
> > Mac OS X 10.5.6 has rock solid connectivity. During
> > these network dead periods, the NetworkManager in
> > the menu bar continues to show the signal level at
> > maximum level and there are no error messages in
> > the system log related to the ath9k driver in use.
> > This bug basically makes linux unusable over wireless
> > connections.
> >
> Hum I can confirm similar or same experience on my T61p with F11 64 bit
> installed.
>
> Which suggest that the driver is not the problem but some other
> underlying cause..

I'm using a wireless connection on Rawhide on my main system and it has
no problems, it's using the 'wl' driver though, which is a bit of an
oddball (and not part of Fedora).

My laptop uses ath9k, but it's not on Rawhide, and won't be, so I can't
tell about that one till 11 final.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey