How to format /home to ext4 ?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:26:29 UTC 2009

> > Is it really that hard to open gnome-terminal (or whatever your
> > favourite terminal is), do 'su -' and then run gparted from there?
>
> You can't do anything with /home in that case, because you're logged in
> as a regular user, so /home is in use.

That's a good point. Since I've always done repartitioning with Live CD
(because I usually modify the / partition as well) I haven't realised
this...

> > And btw. you've actually not lost the login as root, it is just disabled
> > in GDM. You can log-in as root in terminals (e.g. on Ctrl-Alt-F2) and
> > you can even run the desktop environment from there by running startx
> > (not that it is a good thing to do either).
>
> Right, that's the obvious solution. Boot to runlevel 3, log in as root,
> run startx.
And if you are not familiar with doing this in console and do not want
to use Live media, probably even the best one. Although I would still
loudly add that running full desktop environment as root is a big
security risk...

Martin