Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Wed Apr 15 05:07:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 22:28 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> >> I like the download-by-package-size behaviour, but I ALSO eat the icing
> >> first.
> >>
> >> I reject your orthodoxy, tyrant!
> >> --
> >
> > When it comes to yum, there is only one tyrant..
>
> eyeroll.
>
> yes. I'm a horrible tyrant b/c I generally think that the only line of
> code that is bug free is the line of code that WAS NEVER WRITTEN.
>
> I also think that LESS CODE == BETTER.
>
> I do not think features are always better and I frequently think that
> having a knob for everything doesn't help anyone, least of all the
> maintainers of the code.
>

> -sv

Ahh, but with yum, you must be very careful when deleting/removing a
component, because of all the dependencies that get ripped out too.

This is because you did not include a usage count for each component.

Some folks would consider that a serious omission, (debian folks),
rather than LESS == BETTER.