Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 15 05:14:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> Ahh, but with yum, you must be very careful when deleting/removing a
> component, because of all the dependencies that get ripped out too.

Umm, no.

When you remove a package, the things which depend on it will be removed,
yes. That's how package dependencies work in EVERY PACKAGE MANAGER.

You'll also note that unless you tell it otherwise yum always asks
the user to confirm what they have asked to do.

> This is because you did not include a usage count for each component.

What on earth are you talking about? A usage count? Do you understand how
dependencies work?

PkgX requires PkgY - both are installed

if I remove PkgY from my system then to maintain consistency I must remove
PkgX, too.

If there are pkgs that depend on pkgX then I must mark them to be removed,
too.

What is the situation that you are seeing where yum is:

1. removing things it is not ASKED to remove?
2. removing things without the explicit consent of the user?

-sv