Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 05:25:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 22:28 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

>> > When it comes to yum, there is only one tyrant..
>>
>> eyeroll.
>>
>> yes. I'm a horrible tyrant b/c I generally think that the only line of
>> code that is bug free is the line of code that WAS NEVER WRITTEN.
>>
>> I also think that LESS CODE == BETTER.
>>
>> I do not think features are always better and I frequently think that
>> having a knob for everything doesn't help anyone, least of all the
>> maintainers of the code.
>>

>> -sv
>>

> Ahh, but with yum, you must be very careful when deleting/removing a
> component, because of all the dependencies that get ripped out too.

No, yum has no such "carefulness" requirement. RPM has dependencies,
and yum very nicely prompts to override them. If you choose to do so,
your fault.

> This is because you did not include a usage count for each component.

Is that the Royal "you"? The "usage count", by anybodies definition,
is ambiguous,  and I pray that no one codes such a "feature" into open
sources distros.

> Some folks would consider that a serious omission, (debian folks),
> rather than LESS == BETTER.

One of the many reasons I'm no longer one of the "debian folk".

jerry