Fedora-10 nightmare

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 06:30:40 UTC 2009

The worst distribution I have seen:
-----------------------------------

It is totally useless on this hardware. HP Compac 6715b.

1. xorg.conf is missing, but attempting to make one never made it recognize
'SHMConfig' 'true', which is very important in this case.

2. Perhaps it is not meant to use xorg.conf ? Found some notes about setting
things in HAL ?  And the software is probing the screen in a clever way, as
it looks to my. Generation of the xorg.conf was done by "xorg -configure :1"
and attempt to make an entry for synaptics touchpad was tried.
Question: - is it meant to use an xorg.conf or should something be set in
some HAL files instead ?

3. For the very first time, I was able to get Wifi with

# rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

# yum update
# yum install broadcom-wl

( after such a long wait and trouble, this was really something )

4. Installed some codecs and hooked up an ZEN V player, which was great
as well.

5. The troublesome issues:

- much of this was done in text mode, as too often it is not possible to
get any mouse control in graphic mode. An external mouse doesn't help either.

- several programs steal the mouse. Among those programs that is most affected, I may mention things like Firefox.

- some of the more difficult and difficult programs is Evolution email. What
you type appear several words later on the screen. It steal the mouse, and
it is totally hopeless.

- often you can only start it up and you have to turn power off and restart
as I have not found ways to interract with it at times. Cntl-Alt-Delete,
or attempting to dump to textmode or what ever - do not work as far as
I can tell.

- some of the keys function keys work, for example the touch switch for radio
on/off, and there are more hardware enabled then before.

- in firefox and other programs, the computer seem to stop for seconds at
a time, before it start updating the display again. The funny part is that
the for longer periods Firefox works nice. Java heavy pages seem to screw up
the whole computer, but then I found it worked much better when connected
with the wireless instead of cable ? The only thing is that there are some
horisontal noise streaks across the screen, but other then that, it seem
to improve things.

- for a long time, I did suspect something really wrong with java. It is
dead slow at times. You have the impression like you would attempt to run
XP on a 133MHz petium or similar. Takes minutes for things to change. Or perhaps like it would be on a memory starved machine. Still, system monitor
do not show any memory swapping, or heavy use of memory.

- tried some grub changes with the apic, but either I have done it wrong, or
I have not noticed any changes at all.

Any idea what may cause this ?

( not be able to log in as root make it troublesome to figure out things
while in graphic mode. In text mode, things seem to behave as it should. )

Then in periods, things seem to work. I am writing this in gedit, and will
attempt to paste this into the browser, as and send this. I think this
x86_64 version is the worse I have seen. Have Fedora 10 running on a celeron,
and that seem to work.

BTW. Is there anyway to mount LVM stored on USB drive. I have a bunch from
Fedora 8 I need to get access to.

//ARNE

- strange, as it is coming and going somewhat - now it didn't take a whole
day for firefox to get page. The touchpad behaves somewhat, and so on.
Then other times, all you can do is power off when everything is stuck.