new install: how can i not have enough space?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 15 09:59:48 UTC 2009

Quoting Chris Lumens <clumens at redhat.com>:

>> >    ok, i could have mentioned that it's an x86_64 install of f11 beta. :-)
>>
>> In that case it sounds like a bug introduced in the recent anaconda
>> rewrite.  Have you looked in bugzilla?  If you don't see something
>> similar there already, file it.  (It might well be there already.)
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/492614
>
> - Chris

   ok, at the risk of letting my out-of-coffee annoyance show through, how
does a show-stopper glitch like this get into a beta release?  seriously,
LV space calculation has been around for several versions of fedora, and
yet, this bug made it into both the alpha and beta releases of f11, and
cost me at least a couple hours of dicking around, wondering what i'd done
wrong.

   at the moment, i worked around whatever the miscalculation logic is by
creating:

   root LV:  100G
   home LV:  50G
   preserve LV:  50G

and it seems to have installed nicely.  but i'm curious as to how things
like this get past normal regression testing or whatever strategy is used.
by now, one would have thought that calculating space is a long-solved
problem.

   or maybe that's just the lack of coffee talking.

rday