Solution to "not sure what component to file against" problems?

Niels Haase haase.niels at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:57:50 UTC 2009

2009/4/14 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 21:23 +0100, John5342 wrote:

>> >  what about, if someone selects "not sure," popping up a dialog
>> > window that asks for some relevant keywords at the very least?  while
>> > the current bug reporting form contains space for "summary" and
>> > "description", it would also be handy to have at least *something* to
>> > search on with respect to a small set of keywords if one doesn't know
>> > the component.
>>
>> That is more or less exactly what the kde bugzilla does. It first asks
>> a few details about the bug including keywords and then automatically
>> presents a list of possible existing bugs that might be the same and
>> the questions it asks also encourage users to find out at least
>> roughly what package it refers to.
>
> It's not generally a great idea to customize Bugzilla *too* much,
> because then you wind up being responsible for large chunks of code
> which are likely to be moving targets - they'll have to be adjusted
> quite frequently as Bugzilla gets updated.
>
> Mandriva used to have a heavily customized Bugzilla instance; the result
> of this was it got stuck at an ancient and unsupported Bugzilla 2.x
> release because no-one had time to port all the customizations to a
> later version of 2.x, or to 3.0. In the end the cycle was broken by just
> dumping all the customizations and sticking to a stock 3.x build.
>
> I'm not really in favour of any heavy customizations to Bugzilla which
> run the risk of leaving Fedora in the same position - and besides it's
> rather against the Fedora spirit of carrying minimal patches and working
> upstream.
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

what about to fill the Item list like this (or maybe more/less items)

000_PLACEHOLDER_DONT_ENTER_BUGS_HERE
00_UNDEFINABLE_BUGS_WITH_HARDWARE
00_UNDEFINABLE_BUGS_WITH_SOFTWARE-DESKTOP
00_UNDEFINABLE_BUGS_WITH_SOFTWARE-DRIVER

So, if a bug is filled against the 000_PLACEHOLDER with is almost
probability a mistake by the reporter. Reporting again the other
components gets you a little clue about the connect of the bug.

Regards,
Niels