why won't my samsung install CD automount?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 15 12:27:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:

> But you do see messages flying around from DeviceKit and stuff for
> the disc that *does* automount, right?

  ok, i'm back to having a usable f11 beta x86_64 system -- fresh
install -- so here's what happens.  when i insert a home burned f11
beta x86_64 DVD, here's what shows up in /var/log/messages:

Apr 15 08:19:25 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: adding removable
location: volume_label_Fedora_11_Beta_x86_64_DVD at /media/Fedora
11-Beta x86_64 DVD

  and when i "eject":

Apr 15 08:20:09 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: removing
removable location: volume_label_Fedora_11_Beta_x86_64_DVD

so far, so good.

  on the other hand, when i insert the aforementioned samsung printer
CD that came with the printer, *nothing* shows up in
/var/log/messages.  if, however, i manually mount with:

  # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt

i see:

Apr 15 08:21:25 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: adding removable
location: volume_label_SAMSUNG_MFP at /mnt

so the CD is clearly mountable, it's just not being handled
automatically by DeviceKit for some reason.

  is there another log file you'd like me to monitor while i try this
again?

rday

p.s.  once the CD is mounted, this is the corresponding line from the
"mount" command:

  /dev/sr0 on /mnt type iso9660 (ro)

which looks fine, AFAICT.

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday