new install: how can i not have enough space?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 15 14:38:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, clumens at redhat.com wrote:

> We weren't correctly grabbing the filesystem that was mounted on
> /usr, leading anaconda to think there was none, therefore your / is
> too small to hold everything.  /usr simply wasn't getting counted at
> all.

  as a quick followup, i grabbed my f11 beta x86_64 dvd, an old
gateway laptop with a 95G drive, repartitioned the default LVM layout
thusly:

  /	75G
  /usr	18G

and got an error that i still needed 2879MB of free space.  so i'm
guessing that what happened is that the erroneous space calculation
code would *recognize* a separate /usr logical volume, but always come
up with a calculation of it having zero space.  does that make sense?

in other words, the instant you created a separate /usr LV, it didn't
matter what size you made it, its size was treated as zero and you
were screwed.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday