Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 15 16:05:09 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Bob Gustafson <bobgus at rcn.com> said:
> What I should have done (and have done subsequently when faced with a
> similar problem) is to use rpm to remove only the bad versioned library
> and then immediately install the good library, and then reboot to
> re-point all of the packages depending on that library.

That would have required a "rpm --force", which should be avoided (you
really almost never need it).  If you had the proper replacement RPM,
you could just "rpm -U foo.rpm".  If the replacement RPM was older than
the installed RPM, you could do "rpm -U --oldpackage foo.rpm".

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>