kernel-PAE hangs at boot -- did I do something wrong?

Mary Ellen Foster mef at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 14:13:56 UTC 2009

I installed last night from the KDE Snapshot 1 disc, and today I
noticed that my kernel was i586. I wasn't noticing any actual
problems, but from what I've read most modern Pentium-esque processors
should be able to support the i686-PAE kernel so I wanted to try it.

I just did "yum install kernel-PAE" which got me
kernel-PAE-2.6.29.1-70.fc11.i686. When I try to boot this kernel, it
seems to hang at the end of the boot process, when you would normally
switch to the login screen. Booting single-user works fine, but then
telinit 3/5 will hang. Note that booting kernel-2.6.29.1-70.fc11.i586
works just fine.

My processor is an "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz"
-- should this support the PAE kernel? Is there some other way I
should install it?

I'll file this in bugzilla if necessary, but I just wanted to make
sure I hadn't fundamentally misunderstood how this was supposed to
work.

Best wishes,

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
ICCS, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.