firefox is regularly dying

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Apr 18 09:29:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Greg wrote:

> >    i have effectively given up on firefox.  it used to be annoyingly
> > slow, but annoyingly has lately turned into agonizingly, where FF
> > regularly sucks up 100% of the CPU according to "top" (admittedly on a
> > core 2 duo system).
> >
> >    in fact, at the moment, firefox is listed as using just over 118%
> > of the CPU, whereas seamonkey is sitting down around 0.3%.  i used to
> > really like firefox.  how did it turn into such an unmitigated
> > disaster?

> what Extensions/Themes are you using in Firefox? cause i dont see
> that

  this is firefox-3.1-0.11.beta3.fc11.x86_64, running pretty much out
of the box on a fresh install of f11 beta x86_64, with the 64-bit
adobe flash player installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and that's
all.

  i just started FF and am not doing *anything* with it -- it's just
sitting there, and top reports that that single invocation of FF is
using 103.3% CPU, while multiple invocations of seamonkey are taking
up a total of 3.3%.

  i'm not the only person who's reported on this -- firefox is just
horribly, horribly slow.  i just switched virtual desktops to check on
that one FF window, and what i get is a FF-sized window that still
contains the content from the previous virtual desktop -- my system
isn't even capable of refreshing the FF window, while seamonkey just
zips right along.

  others might not be seeing this, but at the moment, FF is unusable
for me.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday