Fedora 11 snapshot 1 live CD destroys its CD-RW boot media

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 18 19:36:04 UTC 2009

Robert Nichols wrote:
>>> I burned Fedora 11 snapshot 1 to a CD-RW and tried it in my Lenovo 3000
>>> N200 laptop.  Nice to see the Plymouth graphic, but there the niceness
>>> ends.  Screen goes blank and the system becomes totally unresponsive.
>>> Only recourse is a hard power-off.  I then find that the CD-RW has
>>> become unreadable even in the machine that wrote it.  The hard drive in
>>> the laptop is, fortunately, still intact.
>>
>> I've been able to confirm the media overwriting in another machine with
>> completely different hardware (Compaq EVO D510 desktop).  That machine
>> actually boots and runs from the CD-RW, but sector 0 on the CD-RW can
>> never be read again until the disk is erased and rewritten.
>>
>> If no one can suggest a component to write a bug report against, I'll
>> just have to make a wild guess and blame _something_, probably hal.
>
> I think I have a smoking gun against DeviceKit.  If I boot the current
> rawhide (not the live CD) and insert a CD-RW that currently holds a
> file system, the file system gets mounted read/write!
>
>   /dev/sr0 on /media/Fedora-11-Snap1-i686-Live type iso9660
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,...)

Let's see writable media in a RW drive, not forced RO... undesirable but
understandable. Having not had any problem with a burn to CD-R, I suggest doing
the burn to a CD-R and I suspect it will work fine.

I could believe that you are on the "less traveled way" on using RW boot media,
so the behavior may have been around for a while.