Draft email to maintainers regarding Priority / Severity in Bugzilla

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 21 17:14:28 UTC 2009

On 04/21/2009 09:56 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 04/21/2009 12:03 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>>> If severity is supposed to mean "how bad a bug is for the reporter",
>>> then ignoring the reporters assessment of that severity seems somewhere
>>> between arrogant and counterproductive.
>> Severity doesn't mean that.  Both severity and priority are fields for
>> maintainers and not for the reporter.
>>

> You do realize that I was quoting
>
>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Beland/Bugzilla_Legend
>
> right?

What different does that make? It's just a draft. Anything under the
user namespace should just be considered a proposal or a personal
opinion. When they are approved, they move into the root space.

> I'd say we're past arrogant/counterproductive and on to Kafka-esque.

I am not sure what is so arrogant about stating the reality of how
things work currently. Maybe you wanted it to be different but that
doesn't make it so. The current discussion is only happening because the
severity/priority fields are basically not used at all by maintainers in
Bugzilla.

Rahul