yum update: Fatal error, run database recovery ??

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Apr 23 10:12:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 17:35 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> Or actually more to the point: sending SIGINT or SIGTERM is fine, rpm
>> blocks that when the db is open. But sending a SIGKILL (like PK does
>> if  the backend doesn't terminate quickly) is just Russian roulette -
>> sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you dont.
>
> Right. How about I just don't send SIGKILL at all for yum?

That would be best, yes.

We then probably have a situation where cancel (sometimes?) doesn't seem
to work (within a reasonable time) but non-working rpm is far worse than
non-working PK cancel. And rpm's responsiveness to SIGINT can certainly be
improved a good deal, I'm just looking at how to best deal it and some
other signal related issues which currently are pretty broken.

 	- Panu -