One or more disks are failing

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 28 12:42:01 UTC 2009

Nikolay Vladimirov wrote:

>> Matthias
>>

> I'm also experiencing something similar on T41. The disk is an old
> fujitsu 40GB hard drive and I assumed that it is really failing. How
> can I check this to be sure if it is failing or not?

Go to your disk manufacturer's website and look for any diagnostic
tools. IBM, before it got out of the disk business, had its Drive
Fitness Test program on a floppy disk image of PCDOS 2000 (or so) ready
for users to download, write to a floppy and boot. Hitachi inherited
that, but I don't know the state of play.

Other vendors (eg Seagate) also provide test programs for their disks.
Some _might_ require Windows.

I note that HP's most recent (that I've seen) diagnostics for its _PCs_
boots and runs on Linux. My IBM Thinkpad came with diagnostics in a
vendor partition.

--

Cheers
John