Ext4 FAQ

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 28 21:23:15 UTC 2009

On 04/28/2009 04:52 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 21:26 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have put up a FAQ at
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ext4_in_Fedora_11
>>
>> I will be expanding this over time. If you have other unanswered
>> questions, do let me know.
>>

> I think the backward/forward compatibility section should state a little
> more clearly that, if you do everything the default way, you won't be
> able to mount ext4 partitions as ext3 (unlike the situation with
> ext3/ext2; you can always mount an ext3 partition as ext2). It does
> imply this, if you read it carefully enough, but we really need to whack
> people over the head with it to be sure it's understood.

And I agree with that 100%. It is really best to state it with complete
clarity. Many readers use English as a second language and they are
already heavily challenged understanding it. I'm an advocate of writing
as clearly as possible for the good of all -- we are all one community
with a common goal.

Bob