Downgrading gnome-volume-control and mixer_applet to be usable

Nathan Grennan fedora-test-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Apr 29 16:30:23 UTC 2009

   I have installed Fedora 11 preview in VMware, and found that
PulseAudio has become more entrenched in Gnome. :( The first symptom of
it was the login sound kept repeating till I killed PulseAudio. I found
that panel applet was useless. So I hunted for a way to revert to the
previous style.

   First I found I could just downgrade to the older version of
gnome-media, but I couldn't do the same with gnome-applets. I tried
recompiling the old gnome-applets against the newer Gnome, but that
didn't work. Then I found that the newer version of both packages have
configure options to revert to the previous style. So I downloaded the
src.rpms and recompiled both. It works!

   I am glad I found these configure options. For a minute I was
considering trying to move to XFCE again.

   I have attached my two spec file patches.