F11 Preview - test with usbkey - ext4

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 12:08:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 01:16 -0700, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> One thing that needs to be clarified is how the availability of ext4
> will
> affect install decisions for systems already running F10.  Although I
> did
> not install to HD, when F11 is released the decision will need to be
> made to
> switch over to ext4 or not for at least some of the partitions on the
> system
> - at present I use / and /opt as separate partitions with /home as a
> subdirectory of /opt - without a /boot separate partition then I guess
> the
> only option will be to keep the  root partition as ext3 for the
> present
> since grub won't honour ext4 yet.  However if the main HD was
> re-partitioned
> to make a new /boot partition then I guess /boot left as ext3 with
> anaconda
> reformatting the root partition as ext4 for the install will be a way
> forward?

Rahul has written a great FAQ around the transition to ext4 at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ext4_in_Fedora_11 that should address
your questions.  You're encouraged to take a look and provide feedback
on the talk page or the previous thread [1].

Thanks,
James

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-April/msg01642.html