F11 Preview problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 18:18:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 11:06 -0700, Jim Bevier wrote:
> I tried the i386 live CD and i386 install DVD.  I had a Nvidia Riva
> TNT card
> in one system (I was running RedHat 7.1, don't ask), and it could not
> start
> X during startup.  I tried vga=791 and xdriver=vesa, but X would not
> work.
> I removed the card and used the built-in video chip, and it started
> up
> without a problem.  Anyone know of a work around for this nvidia
> driver
> problem?

Try just 'vesa'...aside from that, can you replace the card, boot the
installed system to runlevel 3, run 'startx' and see what happens?
Assuming it hangs, reboot to runlevel 3 again and take a copy
of /var/log/Xorg.0.log before doing whatever you need to do to get
graphics back, so we can see the log of a failed attempt to start X and
try and figure out what's wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey