Can't stop log

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 18:38:30 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> After I booted my FC11 test system and did an update, I tried to
> shutdown and got this failure. I clicked
> system->shutdown->shutdown_button and the system hung. An investigation
> of the log shows that attached behavior.
>
> If I log out and click the shutdown button it works, so it seems to only
> happen when using the button while logged in.
>
> Running 'shutdown -h' as root also works.
>
> [snip]
>
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: tty4 main process (1443) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: tty5 main process (1444) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: tty2 main process (1454) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: tty3 main process (1467) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: tty6 main process (1468) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 init: rc0 main process (5306) killed by TERM signal
> Apr 29 09:46:39 fc11s1 gnome-session[1652]: WARNING: Unable to stop
> system: Not privileged for action:
> org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop no
>
> [snip]

I chased ConsoleKit, gnome-session, and a few others when I saw this bug
on my systems.  I didn't get anywhere.  It's a challenging bug to chase,
because it doesn't always happen.  Although I think it may be more
reproducible when going from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3, maybe because if
something's broken, it gets killed anyway in runlevel 0 or runlevel 6
when shutdown or reboot actually shuts down or reboots.

Anyway, I've seen people ask about this bug on this list (with various
subject lines, but always essentially the same thing).  I've seen other
people file bugs and get them marked as duplicate.  I've seen people add
themselves as CCs on existing bugs.  Even if I'm really stupid, I'd
think at least some of the people interested in this bug are pretty
bright.  The fact that nobody seems to have a handle on exactly what's
going on is kind of scary.

For me, the power button and ACPI still team up to provide a graceful
shutdown, but that seems a bit inelegant.