updates repo admission checklist hole

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Aug 3 06:54:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:19:20 -0700 (PDT), Suhan wrote:

> It lloks that the hole is still open as now swig package update brokes the update.
>

> I think there is a hole in QA process that allows untested packages to get into the update repo.

It's a pitty you don't understand any of this, and that instead of asking
further questions you post crap in bugzilla.

> PS:  I find here a policy described: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy
> but there is no detailed QA Check list , can someone help me with some pointers to follow for more details?

That document is several years old. Its title is "Old Package Submission
and QA Policies used at fedora.us". Its header says "This is a copy of
the old document from fedora.us."

It doesn't apply to fedoraproject.org.

As what it still does in the Wiki, I don't know. I don't know either
who takes care of the Wiki, which has become worse since we originally
started with using one.

How did you find that page in the Wiki? By searching or by following
links in the Packaging Guidelines?

[...]

Back to the swig update. There is no QA process, at least not for the
majority of packages. Here's the update ticket for swig:

  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-8145

As you can see, it got pushed directly to "stable", which didn't give
anybody a chance to test it before it landed in the repos. Only if it had
been pushed to testing, there would have been a window during which the
community could have tested it and could have used the "karma points"
voting system in bodhi, the Fedora Updates System.

And even if it didn't have broken deps, it could still suffer from further
breakage, which could only be found out with actual testing (done by
humans as well as automated tests).