Fit and Finish, round three: peripherals

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Aug 8 00:33:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 10:19 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 12:53 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > time for another 'Fit and Finish' test day. This time, we want to look
> > at issues and use cases surrounding anything you can plug into your
> > computer, be it a camera, a phone, a usb stick, or whatever gizmos you
> > have at home...
>
> I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I had an interesting experience
> with a projector recently.
>
> I plugged my Dell laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution into a Seiko Epson
> Corporation 16" project using the external VGA connector.
>
> I then pushed the button the cycles between screen / screen and vga /
> vga and to my very pleasant surprise, x resized the resolution to the
> max for the projector and I had the two displays mirrored (it might have
> been nice to have a confirm asked as it was resizing my screen to a
> smaller resolution, but this may not be possible).
>
> However, when I unplugged the projector and pushed the button again, the
> screen when all wrong (a haze is the best way to describe it).  I
> switched to a VT and then back which got the display working again but
> it refused to acknowledge that the projector was no longer connected.
>
> Since I haven't rebooted System > Preferences > Display still shows my
> laptop display as the projector and Detect Monitors doesn't actually
> seem to do anything.  Strangely I've set the resolution back to
> 1920x1080 (using System > Administration > Display and then in System >
> Pref > Display) and while it still claims I'm using the projector, the
> resolution is at least the correct size.
>
> Is this a F&F issue or should I file this against Xorg?

That was the *first* Fit and Finish test day, display configuration :)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-07-07_Fit_and_Finish:Display_Configuration

it's a bug in your X driver, whichever that is, most likely. The console
output of 'xrandr' may be useful (it'll probably show that it still
thinks the projector is attached - if it doesn't, the bug may be in
GNOME), and /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the usual drill.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey