missing "setlocale" - boot error messages, what component?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 15:10:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 07:03 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On 08/20/2009 06:35 AM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> > Since F10 I see a string of error messages (non fatal, but annoying)
> > during boot that indicate there is no "setlocale" command available.
> >
> > I've tried "yum whatprovides" and a few other feeble attempts to find
> > what component used to provide setlocale, but my fu seems weak to me.
> >
> > Is this a misconfiguration on my part, or is it just an error?
> >
> > Thanks for your attention.
> >
> So it seems to be bug 482888 - there is a separate /usr partition that
> isn't mounted yet at the time the bug appears.  It is really ugly to
> see, and the error message is totally misleading if the analysis in
> bugzilla is correct.

It's not really misleading (the command _isn't_ there, because the
filesystem doesn't exist yet), and not really possible to do anything
else. How's it supposed to display any other message? Do you want the
kernel to go 'find'ing through the contents of all
present-yet-currently-unmounted partitions every time it fails to find a
command, just on the off-chance it's living in one of those instead?

The correct fix for this is simply to move setlocale to /bin; anything
that may be required to run during boot should be in /bin not /usr/bin.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey