2009-08-27 - Fedora test day - Dracut

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 18:44:11 UTC 2009

Fedora Test Day - Dracut
Date: 2009-08-27
Time: All day
Location: #fedora-test-day on irc.freenode.net

Greetings folks,

This week's Fedora Test Day will focus on exercising the Fedora 12
mkinitrd/nash replacement ... <drumroll> ... Dracut [1].  If you find
yourself wondering, "what the heck is that?"  The following snippet from
the fedoraproject wiki [2] best describes the change.

        With Dracut, the initramfs has one purpose in life - getting the
        rootfs mounted so that we can transition to the real rootfs.
        This is all driven by device availability.  Therefore, instead
        of scripts hard-coded to do various things, we depend on udev to
        create device nodes for us and then when we have the rootfs's
        device node, we mount and carry on.

It is worth noting that dracut will impact *every* Fedora 12 user (and
potentially users of other distros).  As a result, there are several
ways to get involved with testing, ranging from basic to more advanced:

     1. Download the live image and boot on your system(s)
     2. Update your existing Fedora 11 (or Fedora 12 Alpha) system(s) to
        use dracut, and reboot
     3. Install Fedora 12/Rawhide targetting specific root partitiong
        schemes (iSCSI, dmraid, RAID+lvm+luks, etc...)

I invite you to join #fedora-test-day this Thursday, August 27 2009 to
help test dracut.  At the very least, providing feedback on the live
image will be much appreciated.  Additional test feedback per the wiki
guidlines is also encouraged.

Stay tuned for more details at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-08-27_Dracut.

Thanks,