Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 21:53:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 04:48:53PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > Congratulations, you've now installed TWO mtas on every livecd install.
> > > Happy?
> >
> > Nah. Once you add ssmtp to the core group, you can very well remove any
> > mta's from the base group. This will solve the original problem being
> > raised in the discussion as well.
>
> Except it changes the default for everyone to something with less
> functionality, which I'm fairly sure we don't want to do after feature
> freeze. Notably, ssmtp won't queue if you're offline, if I'm reading
> the docs right.)

Yes, but the point Rahul is making here, if I understand correctly, is
that 99 percent of the users (and I suspect he's right, judging from the
forums) don't NEED it or want it.  :)

(And those of us who do know what it is, prefer postfix.  Exim is for
Ubuntu people)   <With ninja like speed, ducks the rotten fruit speeding
at his head.  OUCH--hrrm, that ninja speed decreases with age,
apparently.>

Seriously, ssmtp will, as Rahul says, provide a (semi) functional
server.  Mention it in the release notes, and immediately after
installation, the experienced can install Exim, postfix, or sendmail.
(Listed alphabetically).

I understand Bill's point, but I think, in this case, Rahul's idea makes
more sense.  Yeah, ssmtp doesn't do very much--I think if you set
default to localhost it *might* deliver locally, I'd have to check an
ancient article of mine, but for most users, (again, making a general
judgement from the sort who appear on the forums,) more logical in this
case, in my most humble opinion.  (Not being sarcastic with that, both of
you are not only far more knowledgeable than I am, but also both
quite receptive and understanding of users' input.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Well, yeah. I'd give anything to be able to turn
invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use
my powers to protect the girl's locker room.