Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Aug 27 02:57:35 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > The entire reason that a MTA is dragged into the core group is for
> > things like cron. In the base group, at (and up until recently, logwatch.)
> >
> > If you replace that with ssmtp, *out of the box all that mail is
> > dropped on the floor*. I don't think that's a reasonable position
> > to take by default.
> >
> > (There are solutions here, of course - asking for an e-mail address for
> > each user, and asking which user is the admin. But we don't do that
> > now.)
>
> If mails from cron are the reason why we are installing a mta, that is a
> very weak one considering that a typical desktop user isn't seeing them
> at all.

We are including a MTA because it is required by certain packages. It
is required by those packages so that they can do local mail delivery,
because we don't set up any other way for them to work.

Changing the MTA to one that does not do local delivery, essentially
breaking these apps out of the box for all installations, is silly.

If the desktop spin wants to change the MTA for their usage case, they
can. (In fact, judging from the kickstart, they've considered this in
the past.)  Heck, they may even decide that they don't want things
like cron for their usage case.

Bill