Abobe Reader doesn't work with current Rawhide

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Thu Aug 27 12:15:32 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 10:11 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 19:40 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for the feedback Jonathan.  If you have the links and supporting
>>> details ... this would make a good candidate for
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs.
>> I don't have any links because Adobe bug reports are not public.
>>
>> As for supporting details, I've told you all I know.
>>
>> I would certainly like somebody else to confirm the issue before it gets
>> documented on the Wiki.  After all, it could be some sort of idiosyncrasy on
>> my machine that's causing the issue, rather than something that's going to
>> affect everyone.
>>
> If you showed us some details of the crash, we might be able to tell
> you..
If you run Adobe Reader, it crashes right after putting up its window.

That's enough detail for anyone to be able to attempt to reproduce the
problem.

If you /can/ reproduce it, then you the details of the crash are almost
certainly not going to help you fix it, because there's no debuginfo and
Adobe Reader is closed-source.  Sure, it's possible that a sufficiently
knowledgeable developer would be able to tell from the crash details
what's going wrong in some open-source Fedora component and fix it, but
that seems unlikely, and furthermore, if the crash is really caused by a
bug in an open-source Fedora component, it seems likely that it'd be
affecting at least one other thing besides Reader, in which case it
would be easier to debug and fix the issue through that other thing
rather than trying to debug through a closed-source application with no
debuginfo.

If you /can't/ reproduce the issue, then again, the details of the crash
from my end are not going to be particularly useful.

This is why I did not bother to post the crash details here.

Having said all of that, you seem to think that they might be useful, so
although I disagree, I will accede to your request:

/usr/bin/acroread [0x84fc739] [@0x8048000]
(__kernel_sigreturn+0x0) [0xed5400] [@0xed5000]
/usr/bin/acroread [0x85094c8] [@0x8048000]
/usr/bin/acroread [0x850956e] [@0x8048000]
/usr/bin/acroread [0x822d0c4] [@0x8048000]
/usr/bin/acroread [0x850e36d] [@0x8048000]
/usr/bin/acroread [0x850fab1] [@0x8048000]
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x25370a8] [@0x23e7000]
/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_closure_invoke+0x1b3) [0x445643] [@0x43c000]
/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 [0x45c4c0] [@0x43c000]
/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit_valist+0x678) [0x45d758] [@0x43c000]
/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit+0x27) [0x45dd57] [@0x43c000]
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x266ee1e] [@0x23e7000]
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0(gtk_main_do_event+0x3c6) [0x252f956]
[@0x23e7000]
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x2903187] [@0x28c3000]
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x292c4a5] [@0x28c3000]
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x28fa53e] [@0x28c3000]
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0(gdk_window_process_all_updates+0x137)
[0x28fe3c7] [@0x28c3000]
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x24907f1] [@0x23e7000]
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 [0x28d7498] [@0x28c3000]
/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 [0x7a6292] [@0x771000]