more rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) woes

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 12:24:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 10:10 +0300, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> John Broomfield написа:
> > Hi guys,
> > I've seen a few messages regarding this problem, but can't figure out where to start.
> > I had a nice working fc11 which I was doing "yum update" to, and has suddenly "converted" to updating from fc12 (which baffled me for starters).
> > Now it is no longer stable (a nasty Dell box) but I can't continue updating with yum due to the reknown rpmlib problem.
> > Obviously "yum update" fails, so I tried the regular:
> > yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update rpm
> > which also fails (print below).
> > How do I move forward? (thanks, and sorry for the repeat).
>

> I also saw this yesterday during dracut testing. My system was F11 and I tried
> to update to rawhide. What I did was:
> # yum update yum rpm
> # yum update yum rpm --enablerepo rawhide
> # yum update --enablerepo=rawhide
>
> The first update of rpm and yum updates xy-libs IIRC wich allowed the second and
> 3rd update to pass.

You nailed it Alexander.  It's a bit buried (a few clicks beyond
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#Issues_when_upgrading_from_previous_releases), but upgrades from F11 packages to F12/rawhide using yum will need to update rpm first to gain support for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XZRpmPayloads.

Thanks,
James