Service initialization

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Sun Feb 1 19:57:22 UTC 2009

Christopher Beland wrote:
> So according to:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/20SecondStartup
>
> Upstart is or will hopefully be starting services in parallel.  If this
> is the case, do the S and K numbers in the symlinks in /etc/rc5.d/*
> really mean much anymore?  Would it be a useful smoke test to reverse
> them all and make sure everything still works?
>
> It would actually be interesting to know whether Fedora is trying the
> "there are three critical paths" approach to fast booting, or "mostly
> the same as always with a few tweaks" or "just start everything at once
> and let the kernel sort it out", or something else?
>
> -B.

I'm missing the point, sorry. A happy me is a machine that does
requested tasks faster. I boot my laptop once a day, on average. Go pour
a cup of coffee and do my morning devotions then come and check e-mail.
My dev servers get booted twice a month or so. If someone is thinking to
change the init process so that you break lots of stuff to get sub-20
second boots, I think the focus is way off.

There's nothing wrong with poking rpc to see why so many reads are done
but you will waste many person-weeks of time getting folks moved to some
"thing" so they can save a few seconds here.

Leam