Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 03:52:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:22:25PM -0700, Shawn Badger wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org
> > wrote:
>
>     Jesse Keating wrote:
>

> ---- snip ---
>

>      X Server
>
>     The key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server has been
>     disabled by default. To get this behaviour back, add the the line
>
>     Option "DontZap" "false"
>

>     Please make this default to "true." False _might_ be okay in RHEL, but I
>     have my doubts even then. At least the audience is different and the
>     arguments for "false" a little stronger.

Hrrm, I would think in RH, they really better not do that.  If RHEL is
aimed at sysadmins, they, of all people will NOT want this idiot
proofing.   So I would respectfully disagree with Shawn's feeling that
it might be OK in RH.  It most definitely will NOT.

Believe me, there's enough outcry among sysadmins about the gradual move
of Fedora towards it being more Windows like all the time.

I say that with respect to the developers, who are caught between the
proverbial rock and hard place--more and more newcomers venture into
Linux, and they make strenuous efforts to accomodate such newcomers, but
in this case, such things continue to drive away those who have been
RH/Fedora users for years.

I base that not only on what I see on Fedora forums but various other
technical lists and private correspondence with friends in the field.

As the saying goes, it's impossible to idiot proof anything, nature will
always build a better idiot, but seriously--to put such a
desktop/newcomer oriented option into an enterprise system seems
somewhat ill-advised at best.  It's just one more thing for a sysadmin
to fix when installing on a new server, and sysadmins usually have
enough to do.

Especially if they have to create an xorg.conf to get that option in
there.  That's almost adding insult to injury.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Oz is a werewolf.