kvm guest hangs [was Re: Xen Dom0 [was Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)]]

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 08:52:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 17:22 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 07:25 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> >
> >> Any news on dom0 for xen?
> >
> > Not for F11. It's still pending on the kernel bits being merged
> > upstream:
> >
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
> >
> > Some folks on the fedora-virt are doing some advance testing of the dom0
> > patches, though.
> >

> kvm may yet save my day, I have a virtual box that's supposed to rebuild
> knoppix. It's been hanging at some point, no messages and no response,
> and so requiring a system reset to recover control.
>
> It's just run through my script to the point of failing after 11 1/2
> hours. A great improvement!

Try booting the guest with clocksource=acpi_pm on the kernel command
line. If that helps, it's this bug:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/475598

It's an issue with KVM's paravirt clock. We have a workaround in the
rawhide host kernel which disables kvmclock support on affected hosts. A
real fix is in progress upstream.

The F-10 branch has the workaround, but only for the 2.6.29 builds. I
don't think we have it in the 2.6.27 updates (i.e. the
private-fedora-10-2_6_27 branch).

Chuck, could we get linux-2.6-kvmclock-unsync-tsc-workaround.patch
pulled into F-10?

Cheers,
Mark.