Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 18:02:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 10:34 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:

> If someone can come up with a scenario where you really need zap, and
> not just vt switch and/or logout dialog, I'm eager to hear it.  If you
> can come up with one that isn't "some broken application took a server
> grab and won't give it back", I'll even be interested.

The only thing I use Zap for is making the X server restart and pick the
right resolution when I've attached a monitor *after* GDM starts. (This
happens all the time if you've got a KVM switch.)

Is there a cleaner way to force EDID probing etc. to happen again? Maybe
we can get a simplified xrandr applet for the GDM screen, or some
automatic "switch to new best resolution" when a monitor is attached?

-w