Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:03:06 UTC 2009

>  > The problem, as has already been mentioned and which you seem to
> have
> > overlooked is that when an administrator finds it's locked up, it's
> too
> > late to fix it.
>
> If it is really locked up, the current change won't affect you. A
> half
> struck system, it is matter of restarting and resetting it. You can
> avoid that even, if you read up what has changed as any good
> administrator should.

My system just locked up. No response to Ctrl-Alt-BSpace, Ctrl-Alt-Fn,
even Ctrl-Alt-Del. I logged in via ssh from my iPhone and brought it
down gently, though I could of course have simply changed run levels.

In this kind of situation it would be nice to have an unblockable
attention key, like SysRq but not so low-level. Something that would
simply force the system into VT2 for example, and didn't depend on X
working.

poc