Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed Feb 11 06:15:09 UTC 2009

"Jerry Amundson" <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
> The alternate VT, kill, restart, is more work for me.
> The X -config, change zap setting, is more work for me.

VT, kill, restart is a lot less work for you than it
would be more somebody accidentally typing C-A-Bs.

Having C-A-Bs have the catastrophic effect of killing
the X server is too dangerous to do without confirmation.
And since you need it when the server is hosed and
confirmation may not be possible, it just seems a bad idea.

The downside of C-A-Bs accidentally typed hurts users
who may not know what happened, and thus may give X a had name.
The downside of C-A-Bs no longer killing the server is
a slightly more complicated sequence for people who
presumably know what they're doing.

	--Per Bothner