Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Feb 11 16:43:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 06:31:06PM -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I do follow FWN and it passed me by :(, I see the trouble comes
> down to licensing.  What does the latest version of TeXlive have
> to offer over the one that is in Fedora 2007?

As a user you will see "new-and-improved" versions of various TeX
packages.   For example: 'beamer', as it is present in Fedora, is a
long obsolete version 3.06 from 2005 and it requires patching in
Fedora to work at all.  Its underlying "scaffolding" (pgf, ...) is
similarly old too.  'memoir' have seen an active and fast develpment
but what you have on hands is version v1.618 from 2005 as well.
There is 'mempatch.sty' which "internally" updates memoir but if you
will start asking questions in comp.text.tex you have a pretty good
chance that you will be told "first update your installation".
'asymptote' expects more than it is provided.  Such list can be
continued for a while.

OTOH, apart from possible licensing issues which do not seem to be
unresolvable, some "administrative" stuff has changed and that may
create extra headaches for packagers and also regressions _may_ show
up.  If you are not pushing your typesetting needs then what you
have now usually works so I can understand some caution.  Still
leaving that too far behind will be not healthy on a longer run.

   Michal