Firefox performance

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Feb 14 22:24:42 UTC 2009

Hey Greg!

Once upon a time, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> said:
> Especially since FF 3.1 has a rewritten JS engine, the bigger question
> is "Should more of Fedora be built using profile driven
> optimizations?".  Considering that you're looking at tripping the
> build time and making compilation less deterministic, I don't know if
> thats an easy decision.

Rather than do it at build time, could the packager(s) not build with
profiling on, run through some set of tests, and then just include the
profiling output in the RPM sources?

You'd want a build-time option in the spec file to turn profiling on;
you'd run that special build to gather the profiling data, then include
that output in the source RPM for the "real" (non-profiling) build.
That way the build is repeatable, and there's no fiddling with trying to
make interactive programs batch-mode for scripted profiling.

I don't know how tightly the profiling data and optimization is tied to
a particular build though, so this may not be feasible.

For JavaScript, it may be possible to build a stand-alone program that
executes JS, and have some canned JS files to feed it for profiling the
JS engine.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>