Rawhide: kernel & Yumex

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 17 18:30:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 13:18 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:49:46PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>
>  > yumex should be handling kernels using the same code from yum.
>  >
>  > the point is still the same - unless something magical has happened
>  > there is no code in yum to migrate from kernel.i686 to kernel-PAE.i686
>  > w/o putting in some sort of obsolete. And worthy of note - obsoletes
>  > don't take arch specifications.
>
> Obsolete isn't the right thing to do, because if you have a 686 CPU
> that can't do PAE, having kernel obsoleted by kernel-PAE is the wrong
> thing to do.
>
>  > we should definitely discuss how this upgrade is supposed to work,
>  > though I'm inclined to suggest:
>  >
>  > yum upgrade
>  > #if you think you need the PAE kernel
>  > yum instal kernel-PAE
>
> If you have kernel.i686 installed, yum update should update it to kernel.i586
> Migrating from .i686 -> .i686-PAE is something needs to be done either
> by anaconda, or by hand. (Unless you want to add a 'detect PAE' plugin
> to yum too).
>
> Before we made the changes to the kernel package, I was told that the 686->586
> case would be handled by yum already, but it seems that isn't the case?

i686->i586 is being handled just fine. People are complaining b/c yum is
not seamlessly handling i686 -> kernel-PAE.

I agree with it is simplest to do it manually if the user thinks they
need the PAE kernel - which is what I said before. So I think we're on
the same page and I think what we have right now works.

I'll do a quick test in a kvm to be sure I'm not making stuff up :)

-sv