Anybody testing ext4 in Fedora 11 Alpha?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 17:11:38 UTC 2009

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>>> Also ... 'migrating' at this point doesn't gain you a lot; only new
>>> files after this will be written in extents format.
>> Lastly keep in mind (it's mentioned in the release notes, but bit at
>> least one friend) that you MUST have a separate ext2 or 3 /boot
>> partition at this point.  The included grub won't boot ext4, so you have
>> to have that.
>>

> What do you mean exactly by "included grub won't boot ext4"? Is there
> some other version of grub that supports ext4? Will that version of
> grub be included in final Fedora 11?
>
> Valent.

There is a patch, and a bug open, but as of today grub isn't even
building in rawhide so I've not been able to test it ...

I hope we can get it into f11 but no promises; OTOH with the default of
root on lvm, and thereby a need for a separate /boot, I'm not overly
concerned about having ext3 on /boot (compared to, say, making ext4 solid)

-Eric